Church during Contagion
Lebanon United Methodist Church
Being Church amid a Health Crisis
“Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
– Philippians 4:6-7
Here are the most recent safety precautions and policies at Lebanon UMC
- The church office has closed to the public. Messages will be retrieved by the church secretary Tuesday through Friday.
- LUMC Reopening Task Force Team has set a policy of NO in-person gatherings at the church, so that we can best assure the safety and health of anyone who does come in contact with our building.
- We have suspended all activities.
- There are a few exceptions to the no-gatherings rule, on a case-by-case basis, and with extreme caution taken. The most notable exception is that 12-step groups are warmly welcomed to continue using the church to meet. We are now asking them to carry in/carry out coffee or other necessities, and doing an extra cleaning the next day.
- Calls to Pastpr Bae are welcome if you are in need of pastoral care. If, however, there is a logistical concern, or someone is asking about food or gas assistance, please contact the church office Tuesday through Friday and the church secretary will follow up.
Previous safety messages
Blessings, beloved siblings in faith,
We know that we are living in times of worry and fear, as the Coronavirus or COVID-19 virus continues to impact our region and our world. It is especially important that we care for one another in the midst of this situation, including helping one another to be safe and as free from worry as is possible.
Connection and care- We will contact every person in the congregation and check in, share updates, and care for one another.
Meetings- We will hold meetings over telephone or video conference.
Ministries for our community- We have food cards and gas vouchers for those that need assistance. Please contact the church office Tuesday through Friday if you are in need.
Giving- Because the need in our community doesn't go away and in fact increases, please consider continuing to give as you are able to help us serve God and our neighbors. You can mail your contribution to the church at 18. School Street, Lebanon, NH. 03766.
At Lebanon UMC, our highest priority remains the physical, spiritual, and emotional well-being of every member of our community. As concerned as we are about physical wellness, we can't overstate the importance of spiritual and emotional wellness in the face of heightened fear. Please do not hesitate to call Pastor Bae if you are feeling isolated or scared, or in need of some comfort. The easiest way to reach him is on his cell phone, which you can obtain by calling the office.
Here are the precautions that we have already taken, to help ease any worry about past interactions in and around LUMC:
- If you are at a higher risk for viral infection or respiratory illnesses, please stay home as much as you can. Please let the church office know, so that we are aware of why we’re not hearing from you. We want to know you are safe! We want to be in contact with you if you are self-isolating to make sure your spiritual and emotional health are still cared for.
- If you are feeling ill—including with a more common flu—please refrain from contact with others, and take all precautions to contain the spread of germs and virus. Please remember that while your body may be resilient enough to withstand an illness, there are many in our church and community whose health is more fragile.
- Lebanon UMC is cancelling, postponing, or modifying all events.
- (UPDATE) All gatherings, practices, bible studies, committees/teams, and groups are asked to find ways to meet over the phone or internet.
- When we will be gathering again for in person worship or other events, please note that we exercising the following safety procedures at church:
- Our sexton is taking care to do extra cleaning and heavily disinfect doorknobs and other highly-used surfaces. This includes an extra deep- cleaning. Our bathroom and kitchen soap dispensers are well-stocked.
- We have pump bottles of hand sanitizer in the entryway of the church and are working on installing sanitizer stations in the building.
- Please consider switching to automatic contributions if you are able or continue to mail checks to the church at 18 School Street, Lebanon, NH 03766.
- We will not pass the microphone for announcements or prayer concerns.
- Ushers and counters will be encouraged to wear latex gloves (provided) when handling bulletins.
- Everyone will be required to wear a mask while attending in person worship service and to greet one another with smiles and waves, while exercising a safe 6 foot distancing.
- We will comply with all additional procedures as directed by local and state public health officials.
- We will keep the congregation notified as things unfold.
May you be healthy, hopeful, and peaceful,
LUMC Reopening Task Force Team
Updated November 19, 2020